TeraSun Energy Power Park
Natura Energy is moving ahead with the development of its 50MW TeraSun Energy Solar PV Power Park initiative to sell, across the national grid, competitively priced electricity to large power users throughout Namibia.
This decision comes following the announcement by the Namibian Cabinet in April 2019, that it approved the new Modified Single Buyer Model regulatory framework allowing independent power producers to sell electricity to large power users locally and internationally across the national transmission grid.
The TeraSun Energy solar PV power park will be located in the town of Arandis, on a site the has been secured and which enjoys amongst the best solar irradiations in the country with a potential to generate over 2480 kWh/kWp/year.
The 900 million Namibian Dollar investment will be structured through TeraSun Energy (Pty) Ltd, a special purpose company that will engage large power users to conclude competitively priced Electricity Supply Agreements with firm supply durations between 5 and 15 years, according to individual customer requirements.
In terms this new regulatory market framework, players are to be known as Contestable Customers and Eligible Sellers. Contestable Customers are all the Regional Electricity Distributors (REDs), the City of Windhoek and all NamPower customers that are connected to NamPower’s transmission network.
Contestable Customers will be allowed purchase electricity from the TeraSun Energy Power Park via bilateral transactions for up to 30% of their annual energy purchases.
Advantages for Customers
• Customers benefit from the economies of scale of a large Power Park facility
• Cash savings assured with zero capital outlay
• Flat energy tariffs more competitive overall than utility Time-of-Use
• No additional on-site customer metering required
• The solar Capacity supplied is customized and allocated to the Customer’s precise needs and is expandable over time
• Flexible 5, 10 or 20-year Electricity Supply Agreements